The type of oil you can use will vary depending on a number of factors. These can include cultural preferences, cost, allergies, skin type, family traditions.
*THE INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF INFANT MASSAGE (IAIM) RECOMMENDS THAT BABIES BE MASSAGED WITH A HIGH QUALITY (PREFERABLY ORGANICALLY GROWN), UNSCENTED, COLD-PRESSED VEGETABLE OIL*
Some advantages of cold pressed vegetable oils in baby massage –
Cold pressed oils typically –
- contain beneficial ingredients (e.g. Vitamin E, A, B1, B2, B6 & calcium)
- have no added odour, babies can recognise the parents natural smell which helps with bonding.
- are edible
- can help nourish the skin
- allow the skin to breath.
Disadvantages are –
- will become rancid after a length of time due to oxidation.
- if using a poor quality oil it may contain contaminants
*The IAIM strongly recommends AVOIDING the use of essential oils for the practice of infant massage *
This is due to there high concentration. Essential oils are used for therapeutic reasons. In order to use these safely proper training is necessary. Essential oils may well be too over stimulating for babies and their developing bodies.